Frequently asked questions:

 Why should I take one our courses?  

Participating in an fun, safe  and low stress environment will enable you to learn and develop the physical and mental skills needed to safely ride a motorcycle.

What happens if I don't pass the knowledge test?

If you don’t pass the knowledge test you can retake it once without having to repeat the course.

What happens if I don't pass the skills test?

Sometimes it takes more than once to get all the skills needed to safely ride a motorcycle.  Therefore, we have a couple of retake options for students.  Based on the recommendation of your ridercoach you may complete the skill eval only at a later date and/or complete the class again for a small fee.

Who administers the courses?

American Adventure Rider Education, a private company in cooperation with the Tennessee Department of Safety and the State of Tennessee Motorcycle Rider’s Education Program (MREP), administers these courses. All course curriculum adheres to strict standards of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF), and is closely monitored by the State of Tennessee, Department of Safety, Motorcycle Rider Education Program (MREP).   All Rider Coaches are certified by the MSF, and most are also licensed by the State of Tennessee. These dedicated men and women are regularly observed by State and MSF inspectors to ensure they continue to perform at the high standards set by the MSF.

What is provided in the courses?
For the Basic RiderCourse (BRC) , we provide the motorcycles and provide fee or charge to students the online MSF eCourse classroom course.  We provide a link where you will sign up for the eCourse and complete in advance of your scheduled riding portion of your class.   Basic RiderCourse curriculum includes material to introduce the student to motorcycle types, risk awareness and risk acceptance, preparing to ride with proper personal protective gear and a pre-ride inspection, the various controls on motorcycles, engine starting and stopping procedures, strategies for managing risk on the street, common situations, maximum braking and swerving, special riding situations; and the need to ride unimpaired by drugs, alcohol, or other things that can reduce your ability to safely operate a motorcycle.  If you do not have a helmet we can provide you a full face helmet to use during the riding portion of the course.

What do I need to bring with me to class?

You must bring a long sleeve shirt or jacket, long sturdy pants, over-the-ankle footwear (boots) with low heels, full fingered gloves, a DOT approved helmet with eye protection.  You must come to class with these items in order to participate. We also recommend that if the weather forecast is predicting more than a 20% chance of rain that you bring rain gear. (We do not cancel class because of rain.) You should also bring water and snacks, and chair to sit on during breaks.

Do I need any prior motorcycle experience before coming to class?

It is not essential to have any riding experience. However, you need to have the ability to balance and stabilize a two-wheeled vehicle. If you have not ridden a bicycle in a long time, it would be a good idea to get some practice before attempting to ride a motorcycle.  We recommend taking the Introductory Motorcycle Experience if you do not have any experience with riding motorcycles.

If I'm under the age of 18, can I take the course?

If you are between 15 and 18 years old you will need the signature of a parent or legal guardian in order to take the course.  Your parent or guardian Must be with you before class starts on Saturday morning in order to sign the course waiver form.   If you show up for class on Saturday without your parent or legal guardian you will not be able to attend the course. Anyone under the age of 16 that desires their motorcycle license will be required to take the written rules of the road test at the DMV before a license is issued.

Do I need to bring a motorcycle to class?

Those taking the Basic Ridercourse (BRC) are furnished a training motorcycles for class. Those taking the Basic Rider Course 2 (Experienced Class) will need a licensed and insured motorcycle to take class.

What tests are required?

Students take a written test  and skills evaluation on the range . Review of the ECourse and information specific to the State of Tennessee is covered in review before the Tennessee DMV written test is administered.   The skills for the riding tests are practiced during the two days of range practice.  Verbal tests are available for those with reading or language issues covering the (BRC) The Basic Rider Course Handbook. 

Will I get my license after the class?

Upon successful completion of the course, you are given a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) completion card. Take this card to your insurance agent for the discount on your liability insurance. It is also needed for those wanting to ride on military installations. You take the State certificate to your drivers license testing station where the knowledge and skills tests are then waived in Tennessee. The certificate is not a license to ride a motorcycle. The drivers testing station requires the original copy of your certificate.  Be sure to sign the certificate before you go to the DMV in blue ink. You will also need to bring a birth certificate or passport with you to the DMV along with at least two proof of residence per homeland security rules.  You may also be asked to take a vision test. They will keep the copy of your certificate and issue you a new driver’s license with you motorcycle license included. Note: If your driver’s license is from another state, you need to call your state’s drivers license testing station and check with them about whether or not they will accept an out-of-state course completion certificate. Some states do, others do not.  

Do I need a motorcycle helmet?  

Yes, you will need to bring your a DOT approved helmet to class.  If you do not have access to one we can provide a full face loaner to be used during class.

Do you share my information provided to take the class?

Yes, upon successful completion of a Can Am Trike class your name, email address and phone number will be shared with our sponsors.   Otherwise your information is only input into the State of Tennessee MREP site for proof of completion of class for the DMV.
   What is different when taking a "Private Class"?

Private class is one or more individuals that have contracted with us for a private class.  Minimal costs for these is $500 per person.  

How long does the course take?

These hours are TENTATIVE and may vary, due to class size, rate of student progression, and weather. The Basic Ridercourse (BRC) and the 3 Wheel Basic Rider course is a 2 day course that runs  7 AM to 5 PM on both days. It consists of approximately 5 hours of online class done in advance and 10 hours of riding range exercises.  . The Experienced Rider Course(BRC 2)  is a 1 day course that typically runs from 8 AM to 3 PM.  Start times vary during the Fall and Winter months.